Ah March Break! That lovely sliver of time when we’re past the heart of winter, and the promise of spring waits quietly, happily a short way down the road. Yes, we’re fortunate to get a week in March to kick the slush to the curb and have some fun. Wondering what to do? Here are our Top Ten Ideas for an Awesome March Break!
1. See the giant pandas one last time at the Toronto Zoo before they head west to the Calgary Zoo. The Zoo’s Fun Team is ready to welcome, entertain and educate visitors with their daily keeper talks and animal encounters. We also like that they have a “Fun Team”.
2. Board games are back! For the grown ups there are lots of bars and cafes in the city where you can settle in with your latte and have fun with a variety of traditional and new board games. If you’ve got little ones, make it a board game night at the kitchen table and boost the fun factor with unicorn hot chocolate topped with whipped cream, mini marshmallows and sprinkles. Get your game on!
3. Nothing feels more hopeful at this time of year than the happy faces of tulips and hyacinth at the Canada Blooms Show. It runs alongside the National Home Show, and it’s a great way to get your spring planting and backyard landscaping juices flowing. This outing is probably better for the adults than the kids.
4. Sweet adventures await at Black Creek Pioneer Village. Visit the famous sugar shack and watch how maple syrup is made and, of course, sample it too! Hello sticky fingers!
5. Explore your own city like a tourist. Why not head down to St. Lawrence Market for a peameal sandwich and then over to the Hockey Hall of Fame or the CN Tower. Best of all? You get to go home after you’re finished – no out of town guests to shuttle back to the airport!
6. How long has it been since you went to The Ontario Science Centre? It’s still one of Canada’s most famous cultural attractions and offers more than 500 interactive experiences in science and technology for the whole family!
7. Libraries are the hidden gems of our communities. They’re chock full of activities (generally free!) all year long for kids and adults alike. Check out your local library’s website and see what fun they have in store for March Break.
8. Set sail for a Viking Adventure at the ROM! Visit their Viking Village and the Viking Family Lounge, and then participate in scavenger hunts stretching to the far reaches of the museum!
9. Ripley’s Aquarium is brimming with a kaleidoscope of colourful, beautiful underwater creatures. Look, learn and get hands on with interactive exhibits. Go fish!
10. Charades at home is a no-cost, high-fun activity. You might have a charades game, but if you don’t, no worries, you can make your own! Buy a package of popsicle sticks, pick a theme and get a pen. Write the words or phrases on the sticks, put them in a mason jar and voila – you’re ready to play! If you’re not a crafty sort don’t worry, there’s also an app for that ☺
There you have it. Ten ways to enjoy March Break from us to you. We’d love to hear about your plans – do share!
Posted by: Maria